Friday, February 20, 2015

First and Last Lines



The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. Another day waking up next to someone I’ve grown to hardly know. I force myself out of bed, sliding my feet into worn slippers. I begin my daily routine. I make my way to the closet and laying out my husband’s clothes for the day. Then I was off to the kitchen to make breakfast and pack lunches for the 3 members of my family, while also slipping something extra into my own coffee to help me get threw another breakfast with people who no longer knew how to care. My two children were once the brightest thing in my live, aside from my husband, but kids grow up, no longer caring to spend time with their “mommy”. They both rush out grabbing their bags and making it last minute to the bus leaving me alone with him, we awkwardly sit there not having anything to say while he pretends to read the morning paper while I sip my coffee. Suddenly he stands up, gathers his things and slides over to me kissing me on the cheek, a rather unnecessary gesture at this point no one here to put on a show for, and leaves to spend his day at a dead end job everyone knows he hates. I sit there for a moment and enjoy the silence for a moment before getting up and making another cup of my special coffee. And I start my day being the obedient house wife I’ve leaved to be. Cleaning every inch of every room, laundry, dishes, all becoming a 
bit more enjoyable the more I drink. Hours have passed since everyone’s left and I’m left alone in my now blurry sense of everything, I no longer have anything to distract me, so I make another drink. I stumble and make my way to the couch, maybe I can enjoy a bit of TV before everyone comes home. I glance over at the clock and notice only a short time before I’m no longer alone, I need to attempt to get myself together. I make my way down the hallways and make it into the bathroom, almost falling at this point I gather myself into the shower and wash away the sweat from cleaning all morning. I step out of the shower and just stand there for a moment letting the water drip down my body. I grab the towel, wrapping it around my body and slowly make my way to the bedroom and get dressed. By the time I’m done getting ready most of the family have found their way home and into their own routine of little fights, and staying in their own rooms where they prefer to be. I sit back on the couch with another glass and wait around until it’s time to make food for everyone again. At 6pm my husband finally makes it home, he mumbles “Hi” and makes his way past me, I can faintly smell cheap perfume coming off his clothes, and I swallow more of my drink. 7:30 rolls around and I make my way to the kitchen and begin to make dinner, once it’s made everyone sits down in their usual spot, mine being across from my husbands. We all hold hands and say grace before they scarf down their meal and try to make a fast escape from each others presence. I’m usually left alone to clean up the mess, of course making another drink before doing so. The rest of my evening is uneventful, I no longer had any wifely tasks to complete, unless later on my husband’s feeling “affectionate”.  So I make my way to my own little study with my cup in hand and sit down in my chair. I close my eyes, head drooping, like a person drunk for so long she no longer knows she’s drunk, and then, drunk, awoke to the world which lay before me.

1 comment:

  1. You took this idea and really ran with it...You've captured the sad monotony of her day in a way that makes us see why she would turn to her "special coffee" as a means to cope. I like the line "kissing me on the cheek, a rather unnecessary gesture at this point no one here to put on a show for."

    ReplyDelete